permits header

You may require a permit if the location of your project is in an area referred to as hazardous lands.

Hazardous lands are defined as areas that are likely to be associated with naturally occurring processes such as flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or unstable soil or bedrock and therefore could be unsafe for development (Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.27, s.28, s.25).

Before you begin any project on your property, pre-consultation with SSMRCA staff is strongly encouraged. Our staff can assist you with the information you will require for an application and guide you through the permitting process. 

Examples of projects that require a SSMRCA permit include, but are not limited to:

Lands affected by this regulation are ravines, valleys, steep slopes (escarpment areas), wetlands including swamps, marshes, bogs, fens and ponds, any river, creek, flood plain or valley land and lake shorelines.

How can I find out if my property is regulated?

To find out if your property is regulated: