Current Watershed Conditions
Water Statement
Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority (SSMRCA)
Submit Search


permits header

You may require a permit if the location of your project is in an area referred to as hazardous lands.

Hazardous lands are defined as areas that are likely to be associated with naturally occurring processes such as flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or unstable soil or bedrock and therefore could be unsafe for development (Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.27, s.28, s.25).

Before you begin any project on your property, pre-consultation with SSMRCA staff is strongly encouraged. Our staff can assist you with the information you will require for an application and guide you through the permitting process. 

Examples of projects that require a SSMRCA permit include, but are not limited to:

  • New construction or reconstruction of any kind, placing a building or structure of any kind, or the change in use of a structure
  • Site grading, whether bringing fill onto the property or removing it
  • Development near a slope or on unstable soil
  • Shoreline alterations such as a shorewall, gabion or dock
  • Work on or near a watercourse or wetland including any in-water work

Lands affected by this regulation are ravines, valleys, steep slopes (escarpment areas), wetlands including swamps, marshes, bogs, fens and ponds, any river, creek, flood plain or valley land and lake shorelines.

How can I find out if my property is regulated?

To find out if your property is regulated:

  • call and make an appointment with our staff at (705) 946-8530
  • send us an email at 
  • view an online map. Please note only SSMRCA staff can confirm if your property is affected by O. Reg. 176/06.